Petroleum Company of Trinidad and Tobago Limited (Petrotrin) was incorporated in 1993 to consolidate the interests of the Trinidad and Tobago Oil Company Limited (Trintoc) and the Trinidad and Tobago Petroleum Company Limited (Trintopec).
Our Company’s roots can be traced to the beginning of commercial oil production in Trinidad and Tobago through our predecessors- an amalgamation of international energy companies, all of whom played important roles in the development of the nation’s energy sector.
While state-owned Trintoc and Trintopec were formed in 1974 and 1985 respectively, some of Petrotrin’s earlier predecessors included Trinidad Leaseholds Limited, BP, Shell, Texaco and others.
Through these predecessors, Petrotrin’s interests in the energy sector covered a wide range of operations from exploration and production to refining and marketing. All of the country’s major oil finds on land, some of which date back to the early 1900s, were consolidated into Petrotrin’s interests when our Company was formed, so that its acreage covers most of the southwestern peninsula of the island of Trinidad.
Major local discoveries on land include the discovery of oilfields at Guayaguayare (1903), Guapo (1907), Forest Reserve (1914), Barrackpore (1911), Fyzabad (1919), Palo Seco (1926), and Penal (1936). The major Soldado Field, offshore Point Fortin, was discovered in 1955.
Read Our Milestones for a record of our history over the years.